Here are two healthy recipes you may enjoy over the holidays.
These recipes were developed by Hallie Klecker. You will find many more great recipes on Hallie’s blog and in her books, including gluten-free recipes, dairy-free recipes, and healthy recipes for desserts.
Roasted Carrot, Lentil & Sunflower Salad
Serves 3-4 as a side dish
- 3/4 cup green lentils, rinsed and drained*
- 1/2 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the lentils in a medium pot and cover by several inches with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the lentils are tender to bite but not falling apart. Drain well and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
While the lentils cook, roast the carrots: toss the chopped carrots with 2 teaspoons of the olive oil on the lined baking sheet. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes until tender and shriveled.
Add the carrots to the cooked lentils. Gently stir in the onion, parsley, seeds, vinegar, garlic powder, paprika, and the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
*Note: Pick over your lentils before rinsing to remove any small stones or other grains that may have found their way in.
Pecan Pie Snack Clusters
Makes 28-30 bite-sized clusters
- 2 cups raw pecans, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried currants
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons creamy unsweetened almond butter (raw or roasted)
- 2 tablespoons honey or Grade B maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine the pecans, coconut, raisins, flaxseed, cinnamon, and salt. In a small bowl, stir together the almond butter, honey, and vanilla until smooth. Stir this into the dry ingredients to form a crumbly mixture. Stir in the egg whites to coat all of the ingredients evenly.
Drop packed tablespoons onto the lined baking sheets, spacing at least 1 inch apart. Bake for about 15 minutes, rotating the pan once halfway through, until golden brown and firm to the touch. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.